Filter by rating
State:
City:
Product:

General Motors in New Orleans, Louisiana - Warranty on 2004 GMC Yukon

I have a complaint about my 2004 yukon. The gauges went out on my dash, not all but some. I received a letter from GMC informing me of the problem and that they would pay to fix the problem if you had less than 70000 miles. When my problem ocurred I had 71000 miles. I called and they told me they would not fix my problem at their expense. I was informed that it was not a recall, so they were not responsible. If there is a problem, why did they not recall this vehicle. They probably by law have to post this but they find a way to get around it without having to be responsible.

General Motors in Atlanta, Georgia - Poor Design On Door Lock on GM Avalanche

I purchased a 40,000 plus 07 Avalanche from GM. But it took a theif to show poorly the design is on the lock mechanisim on the doors. Per APD, a theif used a screwdriver to unlock my door, just a frigin screwdriver. He used the screwdriver to pry the door handle frame away from the body to unlock the door, so simple. So the question remains; is the a disgruntle employee going around breaking into cars or a poor design? I think the latter. Owners with these poorly designed mechanisim on these cars will loose millions of dollars in personal property. I happen to be going to the grocery store Sunday and I saw this black avalanche that looked like mines, I waited for the owner so I could give him a heads up on what happened to me, he stated to me that it was to late, that they broke into his car using the same technique, two laptop computers was taken from his car. By the way a pistol 9mm and a blue velvet kangol was taken from my car. The damage done to the car is not worth reporting to your inurance, you will also incur this expense. Xavier Bryant ATL

I agree that many car and truck locks are too easily vandalized, and merely fall apart prematurely.

But do not hang GM out to dry, their designs beat the heck out of locks and handles on MAZDA, ALL YEARS, HONDA, TOYOTA, NISSAN, SUBARU, KIA, Hyundai, You name em.

Nearly all imports that have the keyhole in the corner of the latch handle.

Toyota has a design flaw in nearly every igntion, door and trunk lock, from model years 1992-approx 2006

2 wafers in each lock are of a special shape, to make them more pick resistant, and resist reading tools....

The FORESEEN consequence of the "split wafer design" is a failure in the lock cylinder, when these components slide at a slight pitch each time key is used. Eventually, they act liek a fishing hook, and wedge the lock stuck, or fail to turn in first place.

Luckily, a locksmith can remedy this by REMOVING the two split wafers, leaving lock with 6 of the 8 original wafer positions. This is secure enough.

The revised design, introduced in 2001, took 6 years to phase into Toyota and Lexus models, as cars got revamped. The new dwsign, using the SAME style key... has had nearly zero failure.

This split wafer approach had been tried by Fiat-Lancia and others in the 70s, all with failure.

Toyota ought to have known better.

Luckily, parts for GM latches and handles are a FRACTION of those Japanese counterparts, and they are not too tough for a mechanically inclined person, so long as you have a 10MM articulating long handled internal ratcheting tool. Thse can be bought from SnapOn for about 30 bucks.

Most cars now have immobilizer technologies of various sorts, so security via the door is not of high importance to the mfr.

If car is too tough to break into with m inor damage, you get MAJOR damage, and they still get in.

A vehicle is not a vault, but you CAN add electric deadbolts. They are generally used in VANS, but are available for Trucks, too.

www.cargolock.com

( I only know of them, I get nothing for the mention )

Jeff

City Lock

Boulder Colorado

Nearly all imports that have the keyhole in the corner of the latch handle.

Toyota ought to have known better.

www.cargolock.com

( I only know of them, I get nothing for the mention )

Jeff

City Lock

Boulder Colorado

man ive never in my life seen such a bunch of babys if this is all you have to complain about a gm car then deal with it i bet you cry about everything anyway

FYI, it was someone who knew u had those items in your ride, check ya friends!

View more comments (3)
Review
I have a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado, with a very poor paint job, It has spots on the whole truck. I took it to a chevy dealer, they say it is water spots, but they will not come off. They also say it is not a warranty problem. I also own 1997 jeep 1980 siverado 2004...

It's called acid rain! The rain filters the air and brings pollutants down and when the water sits on your car it slowly eats the clear.

Leaves imprints of the raindrop. This is why I don't wax my cars. Water beeding up and sitting on the panel is bad! Call mother nature,she might warranty it for you!

Lol. She needs re painting.

Gm nor any other car manufacter going to warranty acid rain. U pretty much have made a complete fool of yourself.