General Motors - The GMC Terrain the SUV that fails

612 of 662 General Motors reviews

If you buy a Terrain which is a great vehicle, do not look for parts not available from GMC.This vehicle is in such high demand that when you need parts there are none available.

I bought one unfortunely it was hit by a deer, yes I said a deer. This happened on November 23,2009, the vehicle is still sitting in repair shop do to the unavailability of parts 50 day later been on the phone with GMC Corp. Just get the sad story of how it is hard for them to get parts for there production. We are suppose to feel sorry for them as they are a hardship case.

I will tell you that if you want to make payments on a vehicle that you do not have the use of buy a GMC Terrain I granuntee you that if you need parts they are not available in any way what so ever. You will get all kinds of promises from GMC but they are empty word with absolutly no value. The vehicle lives up to all ones expectations as advertised but don't need parts you will wait for ever.

So be prepared to watch you money go out each month but not get your vehicle back.So don't be sucked in buy from Ford which I have never own at least you can get parts from Ford.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
612 of 662 General Motors reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
justin

Apr 25, 2014 #808885

I have a terrain and it has been a great vehicle I have awd and still get 23-24 mpg.

Wilits

Aug 14, 2015 #1019746

Is that hwy mpg? Lol

slightly satisfied

Jun 20, 2012 #499205

I bought a 2011 GMC Terrain in late 2010. It is the SLT-2 AWD, and I love the layout of the inside, the power in AWD is phenominal, and it is roomy with the seats down to fit all my ***. The downside is that I think I pay more for gas a month than I do for the vehicle payment. Driving in the city I get 12 MPG, that's right I said 12. If you can't afford to pay for the gas, do not buy the AWD.

Totally dissapointed

Feb 21, 2012 #434308

2011 Terrain - have had for 9 months
Pros: *Cute, *Good gas mileage, but not what they quoted!
Consa: (1)No vents in back seat area (2)Front vents have very limited adjustment & can't reach the back seat (3)Leather seats are perforated which is only good for collecting dirt that you can't clean out (4)Has only 1 of the 4 power outlets that will work when the car is off and it is in the very back by the hatch (5)Back seat does not lay flat (6)When raining, visual thru windshield is dangerous - had it in shop 4 times for that and better but still not fixed (7)Has serious blind spots - side mirrors should be larger since you have to totally depend on them (8)Passenger seat front is uncomfortable & has no adjustments to help (9)Rough idle at times when stopped at light, in shop once for that, not fixed (10)Occasional loud engine rattle upon startup, in shop once - not fixed *****Will trade this thing in asap when the new cars are out- will look at Fords & Toyotas. :(

Jul 02, 2013 #673339 Mooresville, North Carolina, United States

I have had all the same problems it sucks. Did you end up buying a new car or are you still stuck with the terrain? Please email me, stephaniemcniff13@gmail.com

Totally dissapointed

Feb 21, 2012 #434307

2011 Terrain - have had for 9 months
Pros: *Cute, *Good gas mileage, but not what they quoted!

Louie castle

Aug 12, 2011 #327547

I have a 2010 terrain slt with a noisy steering wheel that the dealer can't fix. Also the struts on the front keep coming apart which makes a clunk type noise I have taken the car about 6 times and the dealer can't find the problem. Actually the car is at the dealer right now as i am writing this, It has been there all week! Extremely dissapointed i need to get rid of this car. My family and i don't feel safe. Gm said they are willing to work with me so far i have not seen any results what started as a dream car has turned into a complete nightmare that i can't wake up from!

not a happy camper

Aug 06, 2011 #324580

I bought a managers's special alright. 2010 w 29k on it. I have had it in the shop several times regarding the engine that sounds like a "diesel" at certain rpms. since this this time they have replaced the fuel pump and a recall for a fuel pump insulator ? they have since said that it is the sound of the new fuel injected 4 cyl. I then demanded to listen to another, unfortunately they only had a 2011 on the lot, but it did not compare in sound which of course was determined, that because they were not the same year. Have had for 6months and hate it unless I turn up the sub par stereo loud enough not to hear the car knocking. :(

SprekaKhan

Aug 05, 2011 #323880

Honestly, just stumbled into this thread, but i have a 2010 Terrain and i get excellent millage with it. Mind you i'm in Canada so i don't know how the KM per Litre converts but if you want to save Gas you have to put on ECO mode and drive the speed limit, also letting your foot off the gas and cruising gets that ratio proper. this thing can coast without me putting my foot down. Mind you the balls are cut out of the engine with ECO mode but what do you want. Speed or efficiancy it has, you just can't get both at the same time. and never a problem so far with braking down, so i just wish you all luck.

Frustrated consumer

Jul 01, 2011 #307130

I am also very pissed and Plan on filing a lawsuit about it. If you would love to join me Please email me at chalet0929@yahoo.com. The more the better!!

Jul 07, 2015 #1004438

Did you file? I don't know what to do. As many problems as people have with this vehicle there should be a recall. I hear the same complaints over and over.

John

Jun 12, 2011 #297635

I bought a 2010 GMC Terrain because of the estimated 32 miles per gallon. I keep a detail log on my SUV. Over a 10 month per of time, I received 21 miles to the gallon. I took the Terrain into a dealership and they checked it out and said that there was no engine problem.

Denver Rice

May 02, 2011 #281457

AC vents blow in your face and cannot be adjusted any other way.

Ms. Daniel

Mar 09, 2011 #258640

I have a 2011 Terrain. When trying to go into second gear it would hesitate. they took it in for a month and suppposedly fixed it. When I got it back, it still hesitated when shifting and also started making a grinding sound, it is worse than before

Susan Russell

Dec 27, 2010 #228985

I am highly disappointed in the gas mileage and the performance of the 4 cylinder engine.
Very misleading advertising!!! Bought it because of the 32 miles/hwy and 24 in town. That is a joke.

Terrible Terrain

Nov 01, 2010 #206266

I bought a new Terrain 11/09. It has been in the shop 22 times, from noise coming from the power steering(not fixed yet they claim the are aware of the problem) bumper not aligned, passenger handle breaking.I can on and on. I had product complaint with GM to no avail.I'm going legal with my problem no vehicle should be in the shop 22 times less than a year..

1 1 Reply
rick

May 01, 2010 #139208

I BOUGHT a 2010 GMC TERRAIN IN FEB. THE PAINT IS PEELING ' THE LEFT REAR DOOR DON;T FIT RIGHT THE LOWER DASH PANEL HAS A WIDE GAP .VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH GM QUALITY.RTHEO@CITLINK.NET

2007 CHEVY COBALT/ELECTRIC POW

Feb 20, 2010 #116724 Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, India

i BOUGHT A COBALT NEW AND IN LESS THAN 30 DAYS i STARTED TO HAVE TROUBLE WITH THE STEERING WHEEL LOCKING UP, TOOK IT BACK TO DEALER AND SAID NO DEFECT, NOW I CANT EVEN DRIVE IT BECAUSE WHEN THE POWER STEERING GOES OUT I CANT CONTROL IT. I PAID $385.06 AND IT STILL DOES NOT WORK. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THE CAR. THE COBALT IS UNDER FEDERAL INVESTIGATION FOR THE POWER STEERING .

Pissed off....

Feb 02, 2010 #111053

I bougth the 4cyl model and had it for 7 days (740 miles) till I needed to have it towed. The car was shutting off anytime I would come to a stop. Ultimately a low oil pressure light came on. I had it towed to a GMC dealer who kept it for 10 buisness days and couldn't find anything. I got it back and drove 300 more miles and found the oil level low and brought it back in. Now they want to give me a new engine cause oil is "possibly getting burned and leaking by the the piston rings". Give me my $ back!!! If anyone has a similar story please post. We can join together and utilize the media to shed some light to the public on the fine engineering that has gone into this new power plant and the excellent customer service at GM.

1-20 of 22 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to General Motors. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about General Motors.
Filing a new complaint about
×